Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Getting Back in the Saddle

A little bit of background..
(Modeling on set of a photoshoot, no day was ever the same at SPC)

As many of y'all might know, I am a graduate student in this program. My undergraduate degree is in journalism. I graduated from Samford in 2012 and worked right next door at Southern Progress, the publisher of Southern Living, Cooking Light and many other titles doing a 1 year post-graduate fellowship. It was amazing and I have a huge collection of cookbooks because of it now.  Blogging is something that I was taught to do in undergrad and I used to blog pretty regularly and had a handful of followers but I fell out of it when I started working at SPC but am very excited to pick it back up with this class. 

Why did I decide to go back to school? 

After my time at SPC ended, I had trouble finding a job in the journalism field. As a result, I started subbing at the preschool my mom works at. As it turns out, I really liked teaching. For a brief minute at Samford I was an elementary ed major but talked myself out of it and went the journalism route. Even as I was subbing, I still wasn't totally convinced that going back to school was the right decision for me. So I decided to teach 3K and see if this was really my calling. It was the toughest but MOST rewarding year it confirmed to me 100% this is what I want to be doing with my life. I met with Dr. Williams and the rest is history.

(My sweet 3K class, I would love to teach at least one of these kids again)

Why do I want to be a teacher?
The year I spent teaching 3K was so rewarding, seeing students who you didn't think were paying any attention go home and tell their parents all about hibernation or recite the whole pledge of allegiance when they had been rolling all over the floor when we practiced is the best feeling in the world to me. It's hard and a lot of days you want to pull your hair out but when those sweet little faces leave your class at the end of the year, you are wanting them to come back. My 3K group went to kindergarten this year and I am always getting updates from their parents through Facebook and text messages. Seeing them grow and being one of the reasons they do grow is why I want to be a teacher.

Purpose of this blog..
I hope with this blog, I can learn new methods of technology and how to incorporate them into the classroom. As much as many people don't like to admit it, technology is the future and there are so many innovative ways to incorporate it into the classroom that better prepare students for the future.


Word Cloud..
I think my word cloud captures my educational beliefs.. I want to be a hands-on interactive teacher. I want the room to always be buzzing with learning. Reading is my favorite subject so while I do want technology to be in my classroom, I still want to have books all over the place. I want to provide a positive learning experience for my students.

I am looking forward to blogging more throughout the semester and reading all my fellow classmate's blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment